redletterdave writes: "Google has shut down two buildings close to its headquarters in Mountain View, Calif., ordering all staff to evacuate until further notice as the air in those buildings has become too toxic and dangerous to work in. The cause of the dangerous fumes is a toxic solvent called trichloroethylene, or TCE, which is highly toxic to the human central nervous system and highly associated with cancers in the liver and kidneys, as well as Parkinson’s disease. Millions of gallons of TCE continue to impact the soil and water beneath Google's property — a result frequent chemical dumping in the 1960s and 1970s — but while the EPA says Google employees need not worry as TCE "takes decades of exposure to cause problems,' a recent study found a spike in TCE-related cancers in the affected area."
DEAL: For $25 - Add A Second Phone Number To Your Smartphone for life! Use promo code SLASHDOT25. Also, Slashdot's Facebook page has a chat bot now. Message it for stories and more. Check out the new SourceForge HTML5 internet speed test! ×